For Immediate release:
Come Dressed as a Spy – Get a Free Book!
Sha Li comes out of seclusion for a rare event at the Siskiyou Arts Museum during the opening reception of ‘Scenes of Siskiyou County’ on July 8, 5-7pm. She’ll be wearing a “qipao slit up to here,” and sharing stories of intense scrutiny by internet police! Which one? Ours of course, and theirs.
- For one night only, she’ll be meeting fans and signing books.
- It’s a “Half off special!”
- And for fun, come dressed as a spy and get a free book!
Imagine China and the US collaborating and cooperating on espionage, cyber and physical spying, and the apprehension of international criminals for their mutual aid and benefit, and you get the idea of the American in Beijing series of three books: Beijing Abduction, Wounds of Attachment, and Escape from Here.
Sha Li says, “I love to sprinkle bits of realism into the story, descriptions of food or horticultural details from the time I lived in Beijing. I guess that’s the link to good food to be found in Dunsmuir. And art. The characters meet at Art District 798 in Beijing, and here I am, at SAM.”
At the red-carpet movie premiere event 18 March in Frankfurt Germany.
Formal wear / tuxedo appropriate.
Intrepid world traveler and e-car specialist, Don Christian, has been featured on the Breakfast Letter before. He teaches hybrid and electric vehicles and energy to mechanical engineering students at the undergraduate level at San Jose State University. Don helped develop a curriculum for SJSU for Hybrid and Electric vehicles. It's undergraduate upper-level, taught as Mechanical Engineering but more specifically automotive and systems engineering. He does this in addition to his day job as VP Engineering at Resurgens Renewables in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Last year he was a driver for a portion of the
That passed through Urumpqi in western China, Kazakhstan, Russia from Siberia to Moscow and on to Romania. Click here for the article. Don recently updated me with this news.
- A movie about the EV global race will debut in Beijing and Frankfurt on 15 Mar.
- A few video "teaser" clips were leaked to the Chinese website YouKu (below).
- At six minutes in, the Kazakhstan translate-FAIL story, with point-n-grunt rescue in Russian.
- At eight minutes, Don plays "Edelweiss" on guitar in Chelyabinsk, Siberia. This is the spot where the giant meteorite fell in 2015 which some people thought it was an atomic bomb.
I picked up a map at my local hardware store.
Root Creek looks a lot like Horsetail Falls, what do you think?
Enjoy this refreshing catalog of Mount Shasta area waterfalls in the Trinity divide behind Castle Crags.
Find out more about the proposed tram to the top of Mt. Bradley
In April, the Siskiyou County Board of Supervisors unanimously approved a Resolution supporting the City of Dunsmuir application for a Community Development Block Grant Planning and Technical Assistance grant for a feasibility study for the Horsetail Falls Aerial Tram project (HFAT) at their regular meeting Tuesday April 18, 2017.
"A great opportunity for Dunsmuir and Siskiyou County," says Michael N. Kobseff, Siskiyou County Supervisor, District 3.
May 18, 2017, 6PM, the Dunsmuir City Council held the first of two hearings regarding the CDBG grant application, soliciting citizen input. A separate public hearing will be held to discuss and approve the application prior to submittal to the State.
In The Shadow of God
How everything went so wrong in Venezuela
Samuel Nala is just a pen name. He must hide his identity. That’s because the situation in Venezuela is close to unbearable for the country's citizens today what with food shortages, hyper-inflation, no medicines, no rule of law, and a tyrannical government. He’s on the firing lines.... taking or sending as much food, medicines and necessities to the people as he can.
“It’s a real humanitarian crisis. That's why I wrote the book. I knew it would get to this. The value of the "Bolivar" has plummeted another 15% since I wrote it and is now well over 6,000 to one,” says Sam.
In 1970 Venezuela was the wealthiest country in Latin America. It was the 20th wealthiest country in the world, with a per capita income higher than Israel, Spain or Greece. In 1998 Hugo Chavez became President. Pressures on the socialist country piled up with the gutting of the price of crude oil and the withdrawal of financial support by China following the recession. What is happening now is an epic international disaster as the people struggle to cope with unimaginable inflation, food shortages, crime and corruption.
- There are three different exchange rates for the Dollar (today’s rates here)
1. $1 = 10. Bolivares (B’s) - Preferred rate for food and medicine
2. $1 = 639.44 B’s- For the rest of the economy
3. $1 = 5,118. B’s- Actual value on Parallel Market
- Worker Average Monthly Salary = 40,000 B’s ($8.00 actual value)
- Average family of 5 needs 1.06 Million Bolivaress per month to live
- Inflation rate = 481% in 2016
- Projected inflation rate for 2017 = between 1700% and 2000%
- Severe food shortages. On the “Maduro” diet, the average person lost 19 pounds in 2016
85 of every 100 medicines missing, hospitals provide service only, infant mortality rate is higher than Syria. Silent genocide!
Their murder rate is the highest in world, 28,000 people were murdered in 2016. The rate is 119 per 100,000 or 25 times higher than in US at 4.7 per 100,000. Government militias, Tupamaros death squads, para-military groups, local gangs, drug cartels and police compete for control. All heavily armed.
Sam’s book is available on Amazon.com.
Where is Sha Li?
Site moves to CherylPetty.com
All the great pages and pictures are there, simply re-organized where more people can find them.
o Beijing Abduction 2015
o Wounds of Attachment 2015
o Interview with Sha Li 2014
o Beijing Abduction at Dunsmuir ArtWalk 2014
o Meet the Bad Guys II 2015
o Ronald Zhao’s Rescue – Sha Li reads excerpt at Ashland Literary Festival 2016
o Pillow Talk at Fragrant Hills – excerpt at Literary Festival 2016
o Sha Li at Writers’ Club – Basketball and Gangsters in Beijing 2016
- Go Behind the Scenes, enjoy the snapshots of locations: Beijing, Pyongyang, Xi’an, Guangzhou. Meet the characters: Mai Martin, the American in Beijing, her husband who works for the Department of Homeland Security, Rick Martin, and her Chinese lover and bodyguard, Ronald Zhao.
- Find out what people are saying about this espionage political thriller set in contemporary China.
- Check out the Chinese who are collaborating with the Americans on espionage, cyber and physical spying, and the apprehension of international criminals in the name of anti-corruption, Fan Fu Xing Dong.